Skip to main content


0300 111 1234


0300 111 1234

Financial advice

If your polycystic kidney disease (PKD) causes symptoms, it might affect your ability to work. Or, you might need to reduce your working hours to look after a child or other family member with PKD. This can have a knock-on effect on your finances. This page explains where to find financial advice, including about the benefits you might be entitled to claim.

What benefits might I be entitled to claim?

The benefits to which your entitled in the UK depend very much on your circumstances, including whether you:

  • are employed (and if so, how much you earn)
  • are looking for work
  • have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work
  • are temporarily unable to work due to illness
  • act as a carer for someone.

There are many other benefits you might be eligible to claim that don’t relate directly to your health, such as child benefit and housing benefit.

The government websites for England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have lots of information on benefits. But it can be hard to find your way around the advice and work out which benefits might apply to you.

You may find it easier to ask an adviser at Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice is a network of independent charities providing confidential advice. They aim to help people who face problems that seem complicated or overwhelming. They help millions of people each year.

You can chat to them on their website, by dropping into a local branch, or by calling the helpline for your area of the UK:

  • England: 0800 144 8848
  • Wales: 0800 702 2020
  • Scotland: 0800 028 1456
  • Northern Ireland: 0800 915 4604

What help is available with energy bills?

Citizens Advice can also explain what to do if you’re struggling to pay your energy bills, including:

  • How to agree a payment plan with your supplier
  • Getting grants or benefits to help pay energy bills.

See above for their contact details.

Other organisations offering advice

The charities and organisations below may be able to help you.

Kidney Care UK

KCUK offers a UK-wide advocacy service to kidney patients. Their Advocacy Officers' role is to speak up for kidney patients and ensure their rights are respected and their views heard.

Ring the KCUK Helpline 01420 541424 or visit the Kidney Care UK website.


Turn2us is a UK charity which helps people check what benefits are available to them. They also provide information about grants and other financial help.


The National Kidney Federation (NKF) helps people with a range of information including benefits. They also campaign on behalf of all kidney patients to help improve equality of access to care.

View the NKF Benefits Guide or ring their helpline on 0800 169 0936.